Monday, January 14, 2008

Winter in New England

January is a time for reflection of years past. I tend not to dwell on the past but look to the future with joy. Looking back only depresses me and shows me how fast time flies. Being closer to 60 than 50 only makes me want to live each day to it's fullest. I am seeing people younger than I pass of illnesses that are devastating and quick. Not me I intend to go out fighting every inch of the way.

Today we are in the midst of a weather event which has slowed everything to a crawl and even though we had the snowiest December on record the local drivers have not figured out how to drive in the white stuff yet. Here in New England having 4-wheel drive is license to drive like a total idiot. My husband typically drives our 2006 Tundra 4-wheel drive while I poke along in my 1994 Corolla. I have worked out the nuances of my commute any time of the year and know just how to drive it. My little car has served me well for the past ll years and continues to get me to and from work most days. Today bowing to my husband, the worry wart, I rode in with him. Being a little fearful of doing any damage to the truck I tend to be white knuckled when driving it in this kind of weather. The snow is letting up now and should be done by the time we leave work this afternoon. Now we can start looking forward to another one on Friday this week.

I look out the window here at work and see the wonder of mother nature and how she knows just when it is time to perk up the look of winter. The beautiful snow of December had turned into the dirty ice mounds left after our January thaw last week and now we have a beautiful white covering again.

As I said in my first post I am looking forward to retiring and hoping to become a full time RVer living completely in a house with wheels. As much as I love the look after a fresh new fallen snow I will not miss it at all. Just knowing I will not have to go out in it will be reward enough. I look forward to the time when I can leave home before the first snow and not return north until long after it is gone. I kept looking at my camper before the first snow fall wishing I could hook up and hit the road, but it was not to be this year.

I spend much time on RV boards and groups getting myself prepared for the day that we can pick up and go. I read everything I can get my hands on or find on the web so if anyone has any good sites or information to pass on I would appreciate a comment.

I am also keeping a log of the places I would love to see so if you have any favorites feel free also to comment on those. I love anything in nature and have seen so little of this vast country I want to plan a route that will take in as much as possible. One of my favorite places to visit is Lancaster, PA. We have been going there usually once a year for a week or at least a long weekend.

Have a great day!!!
Debs

No comments: