Friday, October 18, 2013

GET ALONG LITTLE DOGGIES, BUT FIRST A STOP IN LOUISIANA.

On Friday , October 11, 2013, I arrived in Butte LaRose, Louisiana where one of my RV Womens Forum Sistahs lives.  Carolyn had graciously invited me to camp in her driveway.  I decided what a great idea.  Friday night we went out to dinner to a local Crawfish House which was great.  We made it a semi early night as we had both had a long day.

On Saturday we had coffee and then I said goodbye and left to go back to Baton Rouge to pick up my granddaughter Jessica, who is in the graduate program at Louisiana State University.  We headed off to New Orleans where we had a wonderful day.  I loved that I have been able to spend one on one time with my granddaughters now that they are adults.  I wish I could do it with them all, but time and distance along with work schedules have made it hard to do.

We were told that we had to go have beignets and cafe a latte at Cafe' Du Monde coffee house.  So that was first on the list.  For those like me who have no idea what beignets are - a french donut smothered in powdered sugar is the order of the day.

Almost as soon as we got there we saw one of the street performers.

Of course everyone has seen the French Quarter architecture.

And just had to have a picture of Bourbon Street sign.

The balconies were just beautiful.

The culture there is unique, but the city has this horrible smell of garbage and stale liquor/beer that has been spilled everywhere.  Quaint shops abound there and did add another ring to my collection.
Of course as Jessica said no visit is complete without a visit to one of the bars.  The last time I can remember being in just a bar, no food, - well I can't remember but I would say somewhere around 1980-81.  So was Gramma corrupting Jessica or the other way around.  She says she failed.  We found the loudest, seediest bar we could find that I could at least understand the words the band was singing and ordered drinks.  The bartender asked if we wanted large or small. OK a drinker I am not, but when I do it is usually a margarita but I do not like them strong so ordered a small in a big glass.  I totally failed the test.  They were laughing at me for doing it.  What can I say!!!  I haven't been a party animal in a looooooong time!!!

I spent the night with Jessica and came back to Carolyn's Sunday morning.  We were joined by another Sistah - Gloria LaBlanc who also travels for long periods of time in a Class B motor home - which is way to small for me but she likes the small size.  We spent the rest of the day eating and just getting to know each other.  Carolyn made a crawfish etouffee' (I know I spelled that wrong.) that was amazing.  We enjoyed the day chatting and getting to know each other.

Houston, TX


On Monday I headed for Houston and met another of my Forum Sistah's Christine.  We just had an evening as I was just stopping over night so we went out to dinner and just talked and talked.  She is an amazing lady.

Filet Mignon Amazing



On to San Antonio for three days which will take another whole post to do and the last three days of my grand adventure.  I will be arriving in Arizona City on Sunday the 20th of October.  Looking forward to the down time and just getting settled for awhile.  I am looking forward to making new friends and seeing new places.

Remember - Life is Good!!!

Until next time.......

1 comment:

TravelingLongdogs said...

Definitely good times with friends and granddaughters. Who can resist cafe au lait and beignets at Cafe' du Monde?