Wednesday, October 23, 2013

LETS CATCH UP THE SAGA OF MY GRAND ADVENTURE!!!!

My last entry was about my arrival in San Antonio and my first trip to Bandera, TX - Cowboy Capital of Texas.   San Antonio was up next with focus on the River Walk.



On Wednesday October 16, 2013 we had a downpour overnight and into the morning so Colleen and I played it by ear and it seemed to be pushing through the area rather quickly so we decided to brave the elements and visit San Antonio's famous river walk.  We met at a parking lot with this new system of payment which took awhile to figure out, but alas when you put two smart women together we can do anything.  We were right next to an entrance to the river walk so we set out with umbrellas in hand and cameras at the ready.. 

They have these amazing mosaic picture all along the walk.

Restaurants abound on both sides and as we walked along I spotted Coyote Ugly Saloon--- NO I did not dance on the bar.  Maybe I might have 40 years ago but not how.  From outside it sounded like a good time was to be had by all who were there that day.




As we walked along we spotted an access to the street above which brought us out right across from the Alamo -  It still to this day seems so out of place.  The biggest disappointment for me when I saw it the first time in 1967 was that it was in the middle of the city.  At that time I was stationed at Fort Sam Houston for medical training while in the Army so I was there long enough to be able to see other missions in the area which were in a desert like setting.  One that stood out for me was San Jose Mission which Colleen told me is no longer out of town, but has been surrounded by urban encroachment.



We decided it was time for lunch and went back down to the walk to look for a place.  I was a chilly day, damp and raw, but we decided we had to eat outside - after all that is what you do when in San Antonio.

Taco Salads and a Margarita were the order of the day. 


We walked around some more and just soak up the ambiance of the city.  Pictures were the order of the day and so sit back and enjoy some.




 The tile work on this stairway caught my eye.

Planting flowers in October!! 

At this point both of us were chilled to the bone so we headed to McDonalds for a hot coffee and sat and chatted for about 2 hours.  We parted with plans to get together the next day.

REMEMBER HOW GOOD LIFE IS NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!!!

UNTIL NEXT TIME........




1 comment:

TravelingLongdogs said...

Such a good time in spite of the damp weather. Until we meet again!