Wednesday, October 23, 2013

ON TO GRUENE, TEXAS

On Thursday, October 17, 2013, my last day with Colleen.  First order of the day was a trip down memory lane for me to Fort Sam Houston.  I had not been there since November 1967 and unfortunately my memory is not as good as it used to be, but with my sketchy memory we were able to find the general area where I went to school while I was there. The bases in the area have been combined to provide services and training for both the Army and Air Force which is so practical that it is amazing our government thought of it.


From there we headed to Gruene, TX (pronounced Green) with a stop along the way at a Buc-ee's.  On the road coming in to San Antonio from Louisiana I had been seeing signs similar to the old shaving cream signs of old and I saw one and asked Colleen what it was so we stopped and checked it out.  It is a service plaza with a shop that is filled with specialty food items, clothes, souvenirs and just a lot of fun things.  Not a destination stop but a fun stop along the way.

=
 On to Gruene and a wonderful old town which has become a destination tourist town, but  really nice all the same.  The Gruene Hall is the oldest dance hall - saloon in Texas.  Just looking at the floors and tables brings images of the many feet who have danced across it.  Many well known singers have played there most notably for me was George Strait one of my favorite country artists.





 We found a local resturant which had that southern western outside cantina feel to it for lunch.  I am trying local fair when I can and am enjoying my choices for the most part, this one being no exception.

All of the tables had this carved/branded into the tops.

I need to start taking notes about what I end up eating because with all the new dishes I have no idea what they are.  This one was chicken filled tortillias with green sauce, rice and refried beans. Garnished with guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.


As the day went on we went through some of the shops and I found this book titled
It is a fun book of inspirational stories for women and is fun to pick up and just read a few of the short stories and poems.  It came with a fun little red feather and is signed by the author which is a fun addition.  I think in a nutshell the author is telling us not to sweat the small stuff.  Life is to short to do that.

As is always the case the time came to say goodbye and so ended another wonderful visit with a friend made online.  As I keep saying that is the best part of this trip, but is so sad at the same time.
But now I have a person to put with the messages and blog I read with much interest.

Colleen thank you for a great visit.

REMEMBER HOW GREAT LIFE IS AND HOW SOON IT CAN END!!!

Until next time.......

1 comment:

TravelingLongdogs said...

My pleasure! Until we meet again!