Thursday, October 24, 2013

THE LAST LEGS OF THE JOURNEY!!!

On Friday, October 18, 2013 I started the last legs of my adventure.  I left Medina Lake Preserve at about 8:30 in the morning and headed west.  I reached Fort Stockton, TX at about 3:30 and after a stop at Walmart I found a place to stay for the night.  Salad with chicken was the order of the night and Duncan and I called it a night.  It was only the second night I had a cable hook up and only watched TV for about an hour before I called it a night.  A long day staring at the highway.  Just about 300 miles, but enough for one person.



We were up and on the road by 8 on Saturday with the goal being Deming, NM which was 342 miles away.  Not driving in the dark and only doing 6-7 hours a day is a good thing.  I changed time zones again and moved into mountain time so gained an hour which I used for the extra 50 miles.  We checked into an RV Park right near the interstate so was easy off and on Sunday morning.

Sunday I knew was my last day on the road and the excitement had me awake at 4:15 and was on the road before daylight at 6:30.  I was definitely ready to get here.  I stopped to take a break in Texas Canyon which captured my attention to the point that I stayed there for a good hour taking pictures and just enjoying it.  My imagination running wild with visions of Indians hiding in the rocks or outlaws ready to rob anyone coming through.  Can you see it???





Arrived at Quail Run about 11:30 and was met by my friend Snookie Quinn at the gate.  It was so good to see her again.  It has been a long 17 months since we met last year in June.  My world had just gone through one of the worst times in my life and with her encouragement along with the support of many friends and family I was able to undertake this trip.   Snookie and Bob took me out for dinner my first night here to a restaurant in Casa Grande, AZ.  It was really nice and I again tried something new, a large chile pepper stuffed with chicken then breaded and deep fried. which also came with rice and beans which is the norm for any dish here.








 It is so good to be off the road.  The journey was long, but oh so rewarding creating memories that will be with me the rest of my life.  Meeting amazing people and seeing a friend I have not see for 43 years.  What more could I ask for.  Life takes twists and turns some good and some become hard to deal with, but we do get through them and move on making us stronger.


My new home in Arizona,  they tell me that I will be surrounded by others before to long.  It has taken me three days to get things in order and begin to settle in.  The park is really nice and I think it will be fun to spend the winter here making new friends and just enjoying a winter with no snow.





 I have already enjoyed a dip in the pool my first in years. Maintained at a refreshing 90 degrees.

 A bit empty right now, but they tell me that will change in a very short time.


 Mini golf anyone with an exercise room as well as a pool room in the background.






Yes, I made it 5016 miles with the help of many who I wish I could thank in person, but will have to do it here.  You know who you are and I do thank you from the bottom of my heart for your advice and support. 

I am already getting out and finding my way around by way of scenic detours and can find my way into Casa Grande, AZ to Walmart and will find more things as I go along.  I look forward to seeing many of the things the southwest has to offer. The park manager Brenda gave me a packet of many of the things to see in the area so I am looking forward to exploring.

One of the things I have already seen is Picacho Peak.  It totally caught my attention when coming north from Tucsan and though I was driving I held the camera up to the window to take pictures.  It has such a striking shape compared to mountains in New England.



Ghost towns also interest me and I do hope I get to visit some of the more obscure ones here in the west, will have to find a guide for some of them as I have been told that you can not get to them easily. 


And so the first part of the journey to the rest of my life has ended.  Now where will it go from here? Only God knows and I am sure he will make it known to me in his own time.

REMEMBER LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!

Until next time.......

1 comment:

TravelingLongdogs said...

Glad to see you are getting settled in. I have a very small painting of Picacho Peak that I bought as my souvenir of a trip to Arizona a number of years ago.