Sunday, June 3, 2012

Cape May Ferry Crossing


Friday morning I awoke to fog and though I had a reservation on the ferry for 12:45 I was not looking forward to crossing the Delaware Bay and not be able to see more than a few feet from the ferry.  I left the state park early and arrived in time to catch the 11:15 crossing.  The sun had started clearing off the fog and we had a sunny but a bit rocky crossing with a great deal of wind.

Duncan was allowed topside and was really nervous at first.  We stayed up there for about a half hour then we went back to the truck and enjoyed the ride.  We enjoyed the ride on The Cape Henlopen.  You can read the history of the Cape May Lewes Ferry  here.  I could not find any information about the size just that she was one of the smaller ones.  The largest ones were docked when we arrived. 
Duncan Topside
Harbor Refuge Lighthouse

Rocky Waters
Goodbye Delaware
Looking back at Delaware
New Jersey Ahead

Larger Ferry's Cape May NJ



Coming into Cape May




Cape May Ferry Terminal

The crossing was uneventful and a nice time saver.  It didn't cost me any more for the fare than it would have for tolls and gas.  This being Nascar weekend at Dover Raceway it was a much better use of my time to go this way than drive around the bay.  I arrived at the campground and was set up by about 1PM.  I did have to go buy a longer water hose and found an amazing Chinese take out next to Walmart.  Have not eaten out the whole trip except for lunch with my sister-in-law so decided to treat myself.  Another thing I have to do for the first time I guess. 

While backing into - YES!  I DID IT AGAIN -TWICE EVEN!!!!  I realized that the first site I backed into had two trees which prevented me from opening the canopy so I pulled out and found another.  Practice makes perfect and the more I do the better I will get at it.  I GOOD FOR AN OLD LADY!!!

I am trying to remember that:  Life can change in a moment, so we must appreciate every single day we are given.
K Carlson

Until Next Time............

1 comment:

TravelingLongdogs said...

Good for you on moving right out to another site and backing in again--old lady has nothing to do with it, practice helps anyone.