Monday, June 4, 2012

Cape May Point Lighthouse



Saturday was a beautiful day so after the walk through Leamings Garden off I headed to Cape May, NJ.   I wanted to see the lighthouse and the painted ladies (another post in the making).  The 157-foot-high lighthouse is still an aid to navigation. Visitors who climb the 199 steps to the top of the lighthouse are rewarded with a spectacular panoramic view of the scenic Cape May peninsula. The first known lighthouse at Cape May was built in 1823. By 1847 a new lighthouse was erected on a high bluff, however, due to the encroaching sea and poor building design it was eventually dismantled. Built in 1859, the current lighthouse used the original bricks of the 1847 lighthouse.



 World War II Bunker


Built as part of the Harbor Defense Project of 1942. The park was once a Military base, of which the Bunker was a part.   The Bunker was once 900 feet inland, surrounded by earth and covered by sod, it once looked as if it were a hill from the sea or air. The bunker historically represents a moment in history, and stands as a monument to all those, who in times of war, have come to find ways to protect this country from enemy attack.

Birding and Migration

The lighthouse pond is home to many birds.  On this day I saw many Canada geese and a couple of mute swans. There is another large white bird in the background, but I was unable to figure out what it was.  I don't think it was another swan.  The lack of baby geese surprised me as they were just getting out and about when I left home 2 weeks ago.  I thought I saw some in the grasses, but from the distance I couldn't be sure.  There are amazing viewing platforms from which to see the pond and the walk way to the beach over the dune is completely handicap accessible.  Cape May is right in the path of annual migrations  of many species of birds.  Spring and fall are great times to see large flocks of birds as they travel north and south.



Monarch butterflies also use Cape May as a resting place during the long journey to and from Mexico where they winter.

Until next time............

2 comments:

TravelingLongdogs said...

Interesting that you were able to get a view of the lighthouse from both sides. I'm really enjoying your posts.

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com

Birdie said...

This place is on my bucket list. I managed Plum Island, MA for migration in 2011. Need to date this one. You have some great experiences going on. Love the lighthouse.