Wednesday, September 25, 2013

ON TO GEORGIA!!! AND A VISIT WITH LORI AND DOC SLOAN

September 24, 2013

Before I start I need to inject that any picture you see on my blog can be enlarged just by double clicking on it.

Good bye North Carolina with an overnight in SC.  I left the Outer Banks Monday morning at about 8 am and spent the day traveling.  Had to back track and travel west for three hours before I could head south on I95. So it took 8 hours to get to my destination in South Carolina.  Had a restless night on Sunday so was really tired on Monday by the time I stopped.  I wanted to be close enough to some old friends from Rhode Island to possibly visit for breakfast on Tuesday before I headed south.  Unfortunately when I called Karen told me she was in Florida visiting an Aunt and would not be home before the end of the weekend.  I also learned that her husband Daun had passed away last August which was sad news to hear as he was the same age as I am.  So maybe I can see her quickly in Florida this weekend before she heads home to SC.

Coming up Hatteras Island and on Pea Island I was watching the sand drift across the highway and the road crews were out plowing the sand back onto the dunes.  Totally reminded me that snow is soon to come in New England and I am soooooooooooo glad I will not be there to see it happen this year.


It was rather windy coming south that day and I got a taste of what I might have to contend with as I travel west.  I am so glad I am not driving or pulling anything bigger.

As I came across the lowland marshes of NC I had to stop and wait for a draw bridge to open and let a fishing boat through to head out to the sound or ocean I know not which but was interested in it because the bridge pivoted sideways to open rather than split and lift up.


I could just hear the sigh that would have come from Les when he saw a boat like this one.  He so loved to be on the water. 

I just did a pull in and hook up for the night, did not even unhook from the truck.  And Tuesday I came further south to Darien, Georgia.  I met up with friends from my Womens RV Forum, whom I met in PA last May on Memorial Day.




Lori and Doc have been fulltiming for I know not how long but do know it has been more than 6 years.  They are guests at some friends here and I was treated to dinner at their private oasis.  The moss is so pretty hanging from the trees down here.  It is so typically southern, beautiful but kind of eerie at the same time.


I got a dose of true southern hospitality and for the first time in over 32 years and had a great time with everyone.  Andy & Gwen Colson have an amazing home on the edge of the marsh with a Koi pond to die for.




It was time for dinner can you tell!

These are the biggest Koi I have ever seen.



 Their yard is fenced in except for the marsh side and they have a Hines 59 (Gary's description not mine) dog Diamond and alone with Lori & Doc's Spinner, Duncan had a ball.  I was so proud of him for coming every time I called him.  Protective Mom kicked in!    Gary wanted to send Diamond with me to teach her to come when called.  I about had a stroke when he came running from the marsh covered in mud.  He had to have a bath when we got back to the camper before he could go to bed.  But he had the best time playing with the others and he so needs the interaction with other canine friends.  It was the first time he has been off leash since we left home and the only the second time I have been comfortable with it since his brother was killed.
Looking toward the Tiki Hut and the marsh behind it.

Love the tiki people.

View of the marsh behind the house.

We arrived home just before dark and had a nice view of our campground which is on a small lake.  We are parked right across from the lake.  We are at MacIntosh Lake RV Park which was recommended by Lori and Doc.  It is 8/10ths of a mile off I95 at exit 58.  They do offer a 10% discount off every camping organization just because they want to not because they are members of any but do post a sign that they are Good Sam members.  It is a nice place to stop and catch my breath.

 I found this today and decided that it fit the bill.

NEXT TIME REMEMBER HOW GOOD LIFE IS!!!

UNTIL NEXT TIME........


1 comment:

TravelingLongdogs said...

I'm glad to hear that things are feeling better again and that you had a great visit. Love your saying on the bottom of the post. I think I need to remind myself of that once in a while too.