Sunday, September 29, 2013

September 28-29, 2013 FIRST FULL DAY IN FLORIDA

Friday when I got into the campground I took my time setting up camp and for some reason I got stressed finding the Thousand Trails Orlando Park.  I went by it twice and had to pull into a parking lot to get my bearings then finally got it.  So just did the set up in slow motion.  I have a very nice site just across the street from the clubhouse.  This was taken from the parking lot just across from the camper.  And yes I backed into the site without issues.  It is getting easier the more I practice.


Duncan and I took a walk around just a portion of the preserve and I have to tell you this one is huge.  There are over 800 campsites and from what I understand in Dec - Mar it is filled to capacity.  Right now it is a little quiet with most being older adults just the way I like it.  The clubhouse seems very nice there are two pools and jaccuzi, workout rooms and I know not what else.  I have to just walk across the street to find out so that is on my list for today.


As I was reading the information packet they gave me on check in I notice a little blurb about the Gopher Tortoises here in Florida. As I was driving out in the afternoon I noticed one feeding in the grass.  These nondescript turtles are a threatened species and here in the park there are little latticed enclosures all over the place and we are asked not to disturb them which is common sense for most.  There are dozens of them here on the preserve. So curious me had to go find out about them and this link is quite amazing to read The Gopher Tortoise


Yesterday I decided late morning to get out and explore and I also had a call from one of my RV Women's Forum sistah's with an invitation to meet for lunch just down the road from me.  The plan was to meet at 4PM so I had plenty of time to go out and just look around.  Found a flea market that I will have to visit to see what they offer.  If it is anything like the last one I went to here it should be interesting.  Do I need anything - Noooooooooooooooo!  But it is fun to go look.  Oh and for those who know me well -  I HAVE ONLY BOUGHT ONE PAIR OF SANDALS SO FAR!  I am being good about that. 

Linda and I met at a Panera not to far from here so it was easy to find for me.  It is so nice to put a face with a name after chatting with these ladies since 2009.


In our forum the running commentary is when there is a mini get together like this one we are supposed to make sure we take a picture of the food as well as the humans involved so here it is girls.


We talked for hours and decided at 7:30 to call it a night and we finally got in our vehicles at 8:30 and said goodby.

At 9PM I started hearing fireworks as I had the night before so outside I went to look around and see if I could figure out where they were coming from.  Yep you guessed it there was no where else they could be but Disney World.  I looked at the map and they are due east of the preserve so if I was a crow I could fly there in about 10 minute.  I was like a kid looking through a candy store window and wanted to see more.  They went on for about 15-20 min then stopped At about 9:45 they started in again and then once again at about 10:45.  Had to be at all the major parks because it was one right after another each in a little different spot.  Can you imagine how much money went into that last night.  Now don't get me wrong I love fireworks and I will see them while here, but I know I could have had a new motor home for what they spent just last night.  And the gas to drive it around for a YEAR!!!!

OMG!  I just heard the strangest noise so after three of four times I had to go look and to my surprise I had balloons flying just over the camper. 

They were so low and I did get a video but  I have to figure out how that works on here.  I need to get my butt in gear and get dressed for the day.  I can imagine what the people in the air thought when they saw  us standing outside in our jammies taking pictures of them.

Remember just how good life is!!!!

Until next time......


2 comments:

TravelingLongdogs said...

What an exciting start to your visit in that area!

BarbZeee said...

Yep. Those turtles are pretty neat...great little GTG ..I'm sure sad I'll miss you..but maybe on your return. Ya never know..those fire works are the best I've ever seen too..so glad you are enjoying your adventure and lots more Sistahs too meet up with. God Bless. Zeee