Wednesday, September 4, 2013

STRASBURG, PA TRAINS AND HISTORIC HOMES



 
For the train enthusiast Strasburg offer a huge museum of train engines, cars of all kinds and train rides through the country side.  I may go back to go through the museum, but for now here are some pictures to wet your curiosity and if you would like there is a web site to visit.
 
Trains and travel by train still fascinate me.  My first train ride was between Philadelphia and Phoenixville, PA when I was assigned to Valley Forge General Hospital in 1967.  At 18 and coming from a small town in rural southern New Hampshire joining the army opened up a whole new world for me so everything was new and exciting.  My first plane ride, train ride and though we had moved to Oregon when I was young, for 3 years, being on my own for the first time the world was a wondrous place for me.  Maybe that was the beginning of my passion for the always looking at things with new eyes throughout my life.  There always seems to be something exciting to see.  And it doesn't always have to be museums and touristy sites.  It can be as obscure site of a peaceful bend in a river or the sight of a breathtaking view of a mountain.
 
 
The Station
 
 

 
 
THE RED CABOOSE MOTEL AND RESTURANT
 
Not far from the train museum there is a motel that used to be in the middle of farm land, but now is becoming surrounded by homes.  But it is still unique in its own way.  I have always loved the whole idea of building a motel out of train cabooses.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



 
 
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST FOR THIS POST
 
Over the years when we have been here in the area much of the driving we did took us through Stasburg.  The village is filled with colonial brick homes, typical PA row houses and then in the middle of all of these there are a few homes that are made of logs square cut and filled with some kind of cement or caulking.  These homes are beautiful in design and have been restored.  I took a couple of pictures and the second one looks like it is undergoing restoration inside as I could see building materials in an upper window.  One day while I am here I want to take a walking tour just to take photos of the historic building though out the main street.  Many have  historical plaques on them so it will be interesting to see when they were built.
 

 
I am off to Gettysburg today it is a beautiful day with low humidity for this area so will take advantage of it and get outside.  Not my first trip, but the first alone.  Wonder if I will see a ghost along the way.
 
UNTIL NEXT TIME.................
 
 

No comments: